The Echo Valley is part of Bornholm's longest crevice valley, which extends from Saltuna in the east for a distance of 12 kilometers to Vallensgårds Mose. But in reality it is even longer, because under the layer of earth it extends as far as Arnager in the west.
The valley is up to 70 meters wide and is limited from the north-west by 20-meter vertical cliff walls. The slopes are covered by an over 200-year-old oak forest, which is under protection. The meadow in the Echo Valley is grazed by farm animals, so guests can admire these spectacular rocks.
The Echo Valley is best known for the echo that occurs when the sound bounces back off steep rock walls. The best place to hear the echo of the Echo Valley is the spring of Hans Christian.
Ekkodalen, as well as the remaining valleys on Bornholm, arose as a result of great tectonic tensions. Cracking the earth's crust formed deep valleys. Rain and water washed away the deposits and began to form visible vertical rock walls. The walls of glacial valleys provide optimal protection against the wind, and at the bottom of the valley there are good conditions for plant growth: mild in winter and cool and shady in summer.
In 1809, Hans Rømer, to the consternation of local peasants who lost their right to free grazing, built an impressive stone wall around the forest, which still stands today. Hans Rømer served as a forester in the years 1800-36, creating the Almindingen forest, the third largest forest in Denmark. He also built a Rømersdal half-timbered building, which is still the residence of the state forester.
Today the valley is used as a lush pasture for cows.
The spring of Hans Christian was once an ancient holy well. It was believed that its very clean and tasty water had medicinal properties. In the 1920s and 1930s, it was also called Ørsted's Radium Spring.